Men’s soccer edges CCSU 2-1

Mens soccer edges CCSU 2-1

Robbie McLarney and William Daniels both hit the back of the net Friday afternoon, as the Bobcats defeated conference rival Central Connecticut, 2-1. McLarney was credited with the game-winning goal, scoring on a penalty kick in the 79th minute.

[media-credit id=1459 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]“It was a big win,” McLarney said. “We played a good first half, and we just got to carry over what we did in the first half into FDU [Fairleigh Dickinson University].”

With the win Friday, Quinnipiac and Fairleigh Dickinson move into a first place tie in the NEC. The two are scheduled to square off Nov. 4 at 1 p.m. at QU Soccer Field and the winner will be crowned NEC regular season champion.

“Every opponent we prepare a little bit differently,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Da Costa said. “We’ll spend tomorrow trying to get our legs back, and come down from this emotional high and then we’ll start talking about FDU.”

McLarney’s game-winner came off a Blue Devils handball call inside the box in the 79th minute. McLarney lined up for the penalty kick and ripped a shot at the bottom right corner past keeper Anthony Occhialini for the 2-1 advantage.

Earlier, William Daniels scored his sixth goal of the year in the 25th minute. Phil Suprise missed a header in front of the net, as Central Connecticut’s defense attempted to clear the zone. Daniels stayed in position long enough, and drilled a loose ball into the top left corner for the 1-0 lead.

“From Aug. 7 when the boys reported to camp, you could just see there was a vibe in the room,” Da Costa said. “All of our new players have gelled right in.”

At 73:22, the Blue Devils got their only score of the game, coming off the head of Steven Bailey. Ben Knight set up to take a free kick at midfield, while Bailey stationed himself in front of the goal. Knight drilled a perfect free kick, and Bailey headed the ball past Borja Angoitia to knot the game at one.

Angoitia recorded five saves on the day, while the Central Connecticut outshot Quinnipiac 11 to 10. Occhialini was pulled from the net in favor of James Perkins with 4:49 remaining in the contest.