Men’s ice hockey taken down by Colgate

Colgate overpowers men’s ice hockey

Quinnipiac goaltender Eric Hartzell stopped only 17-of-21 shots on goal Saturday evening, as Quinnipiac fell to Colgate at Cape Cod Rink, 5-1. Hartzell was relieved in favor of Michael Garteig at 9:35 in the third period. Garteig stopped 4-of-5 shots faced.

The Raiders began their night early, hitting the back of the net for the first time in the seventh minute of play. Colgate (4-3-0) went a man-down on a Spiro Goulakos tripping call, but that didn’t prevent Kurtis Bartliff from putting the Raiders on the board with a shorthanded goal for the 1-0 lead.

In the second period, Quinnipiac’s Travis St. Denis drilled his second goal of the season at 5:49, notting the game at one. Thirteen minutes later, John Lidgett ripped a shot past Hartzell to give the Raiders a 2-1 advantage after two.

Colgate broke the game wide open in the third, as the Raiders scored three goals off the sticks of Darcy Murphy, Brendan Corcoran and Goulakos. The third period was also filled with penalties, as four misconducts were issued, one of which was for the game. Five roughing calls were also handed out, along with a contact to the head and checking from behind.

Despite being outscored by four, Quinnipiac (3-2-1) outshot Colgate, 30-26. The Bobcats also went 0-for-2 on the power play, bringing their streak to 25 power plays without a goal.

Quinnipiac returns to the ice on Nov. 6 against American International at TD Bank Sports Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.