Q-Card: ‘passport to life’

The Q-Card is a student’s way of life around Quinnipiac, serving as everything from a meal plan, to a student ID, to a debit card for local businesses.

When students arrive on campus, they are given $825 per semester for their meal plan, which is included in their tuition. That money can be carried over from the first semester to the second semester if it is not used, but gets wiped out at the end of the academic year.

The Rathskellar and the cafeteria both accept money off the meal plan, while local businesses and other campus areas draw from the Q-Cash account.

The Q-Cash account is a separate account from the meal plan, which allows for students and parents to decide how much money they want to put in. This money is rolled over for the entire college life of the student, and can be deposited at any time.

According to the 2002-2003 Student Handbook, the Q-Card is a versatile card that is much more than a simple meal plan.

“The area’s most popular off-campus businesses now accept the Q-Card,” the book states. “Textbooks, school supplies, groceries, restaurants, haircuts, and other essential student services are all available through your Q-Card.”

The Q-Card also has “Featured Businesses of the Week” each week. These local businesses offer special deals for students who pay using their Q-Cash.

Students also use their Q-Cash to do laundry on campus, as well as to purchase items in the school bookstore and make copies at the library and Campus Copy. In order to get into the campus Recreation Center, students must swipe their Q-Card before entering.

According to the Student Handbook, the Q-Card is a safe alternative to carrying cash around on campus.

“Your Q-Card lost or stolen?” the book states. “No problem! Simply notify us or visit www.qcardonline.com to suspend activity on your Q-Card.”

On the official Q-Card website, students can deposit money into their Q-Cash account, suspend activity on their card, and check their account balance and transaction history among other things. Students can also find out what Q-Cash deals are being offered for that week.

Sophomore Rob Yagid feels as if he would be lost around campus if he did not have his Q-Card.

“I don’t know what I would do without my Q-Card,” Yagid said. “I would probably starve because I would have no meal plan. It’s my passport to life here.”

The Q-Card also serves as a key for students living in Quinnipiac’s newest dorm, Mountainview. Junior Kevin Haney believes that all dorms should switch to this method.

“I really wish all the dorms were just opened by the Q-Card,” Haney said. “I get awfully tired of fumbling around with my keys each time I leave my building.”

The Q-Card office on campus is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Fridays.

For more information on the Q-Card, and a complete list of businesses that accept Q-Cash, visit the official Q-Card website, www.qcardonline.com.