Health Center offers services to students

Last semester an article about the “morning after pill,” available at the Student Health Center, was printed in The Chronicle. As a result, the health center staff received many inquiries concerning this matter. Several students asked, “Why is this a secret?”

The pill has never been a secret. It is, however, a reactive measure and the health center prefers to promote proactive solutions.

Information about services offered at the health center can be found on its Quinnipiac web site and in the Student Handbook. Informational booths are presented by health center nurses several times each year. Phone calls are always welcome.

Still, many students are surprised to learn that well-women gynecology services are offered at the health center.

The philosophy of the health center is to promote health maintenance and preventative care. The staff encourages women to receive a baseline gynecology exam. Students can utilize the services available at the health center or see their own gynecologist.

If a student chooses to use the health center services, the student should come in person to make an appointment for a gynecology exam. The student will be required to read a short informational packet, answer a medical history questionnaire and pay a $25 fee. The fee covers the exam, a Pap test and cultures.

All full-time female students may utilize this service: undergrad, graduate and law. The gynecologist, Dr. Noble, is available twice a week by appointment only.

When the student arrives for the appointment, blood pressure and weight will be measured. A urine sample will be collected and tested for protein and glucose.

Dr. Noble will review the student’s medical history with. Next he performs a general exam to screen for problems related to the student’s thyroid, abdomen, spine, heart and lungs. A breast exam is done and monthly breast self-exams are encouraged.

A nurse remains present during the internal exam which generally takes only five minutes.

Results of the Pap test and cultures are available in about a week.

After the exam students speak with Dr. Noble concerning their reproductive needs. Students interested in taking oral contraceptives are prescribed a six-month course of either Orthonovum 777, Orthocyclen or Orthotricyclen. These can be purchased in the health center for $5 per pack.

Most students are seen on a six-month basis. Anyone receiving abnormal test results will usually require follow-up care sooner.

Students presenting written prescriptions for oral contraceptives from their private gynecologists may also purchase them in the student health center. Only the three types of oral contraceptives listed above are available. Faxes and phone calls from private physicians will not be accepted. Students must review the information packet prior to the initial purchase.

Many pamphlets are available concerning women’s health issues and other health topics at the health center. The center is open 24 hours / 7 days a week. A registered nurse is always available to answer questions or direct the student to the appropriate resource.

Pamphlets are also available at the health center that address men’s issues such as testicular self-exam. Condoms are available in the health center and students are encouraged to read the accompanying pamphlet. Many sexually transmitted diseases can be diagnosed and treated by the doctors available in the health center. AIDS testing is not done at Student Health Services. However, referrals for testing and counseling can be provided.

For more information check the web site under “current students” and “student services” or call 582-8742 to speak with a nurse.