Parent’s Weekend Review

Parents and Family Weekend was a busy one for Quinnipiac Athletics. All fall sports were in action and competed in front of family and friends.
The men’s cross country team took top honors as they hosted the Quinnipiac Invitational.
Junior Greg Toomey was the top finisher of the day, beating out the rest of the field with a time of 26:52.
The Bobcats used their home advantage to overtake teams from Yale, UConn, Fairfield, University of Rhode Island, Northeastern, University of Hartford, Albertus Magnus College and Southern Connecticut State University.
The women’s team had two runners in the top ten, but ended up finishing fourth overall in their running of the Quinnipiac Invitational.Freshman Kate Gwyther finished second while fellow freshman Danielle Green finished tenth.
The men’s soccer team fell to St. Francis, N.Y., in their third overtime contest of the year. Both teams played hard in the tense game.
Freshman goalie Conor Shilcock-Eliot made ten saves in the game, enabling the Bobcats to stay in the game.
St. Francis finally broke the shutout only 2:04 into the overtime to win the game 1-0. Quinnipiac’s record is now 0-5-1 for the season.
The women’s soccer team lost to Central Connecticut State University on Saturday afternoon of Parents Weekend.
Junior Meghan Kennedy scored the lone goal in the loss, which brought the Bobcats record to 0-7-1; 0-1-1 in Northeast Conference play.
Quinnipiac’s field hockey team extended their winning streak to six straight with a 4-0 shutout over Siena.
Danielle Avenoso and Chelsea Osbrey combined for three goals in the first 19 minutes of the contest.
Osbrey netted her second goal of the day in the second half off an assist from Eileen Gallagher.
Goalkeepers Erin Mckay, Lacey Johnson and Loren Montgomery combined for the shutout.
The Bobcats luck ran out on Sunday when the University of Maine broke Quinnipiac’s winning streak, taking the non-conference game, 3-1.
Senior co-captain Jackie Langenstein tallied the lone goal for Quinnipiac off an assist from Osbrey. The team’s record now stands at 6-5.
The Bobcat volleyball team played hard fought matches gainst both the University of Hartford and Siena, but couldn’t overcome either team in the Quinnipiac Classic Tournament. Hartford took the first game 32-30. Quinnipiac took the second 30-23, but Hartford battled back in the next two sets, winning 30-28, 20-27.
Senior Heather Wollyung lead the day with 19 kills and seven blocks. Janka Lopatto had 44 assists against the Hawks.
The Bobcats fought back to force a fifth game against Siena, but was unable to come away with the victory once again.
Wollyung led the way again with 32 kills and four blocks while fellow senior Heather Grutta added 12 kills, nine digs, and three service aces.
The Saints finally took the battle with scores of 30-25, 30-25, 20-30, 23-30, 17-15.
The Bobcat’s record now sits at 5-8.