DUI simulator to educate students about dangers of drinking and driving

On Friday, Oct. 4, the Student Programming Board is bringing a DUI Simulator to campus to educate students on the effects of drinking and driving.
    This event will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Alumni Hall. All students are encouraged to attend.
    Students will sit in and drive through a simulated course in a 2001 Mustang Convertible. There will be a screen in front of the car and two screens on both sides that will display the obstacles the driver will encounter.
    “The car will act as if the student had a 0.1 blood alcohol concentration, which is illegal in the state of Connecticut,” said Katie Breen, Novelties Chair of SPB. “Our purpose is to educate students on the dangers of drinking and driving.”
    Four students can be placed in the vehicle at one time and the maximum time for each driver will be two minutes, providing that they do not crash.
    The Hamden Police Department will be available to answer any questions that students may have on drinking and driving. Literature on drunk driving will also be available.
    The Student Government Association senior class will be doing “drunken donuts” where they will be distributing doughnuts and cider.
    This event will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. outside of Alumni Hall.