The week in review

The Quinnipiac Bobcats field hockey team was chosen as the pre-season favorite to win the Northeast Conference championship, according to a poll of conference coaches.
Last year, the Bobcats defeated Sacred Heart and Rider University to claim their third league title in four years. The team also set a new school record with 12 wins on the season.
The team recently made a trip to Boston to play Northeastern University, Boston College and Boston University.
More recently, the Bobcats travelled to Hempstead, N.Y., to play the Pride of Hofstra University.
Senior co-captains Courtney Ryan and Jackie Langenstein each scored once for the Bobcats before heading into overtime.
The Bobcats led 2-1 with ten minutes to play, but Hofstra tied the game with 8:41 left in the game.
Hofstra ended the overtime and took the win, 3-2.
The women’s soccer team played host to the Quinnipiac Classic Soccer Tournament this past weekend.
The team had a home advantage when they also took on Hofstra University.
The Bobcats held a lead in the first half when freshman Claudia Castaneda from Davis, Calif. tallied a goal with just over 13 minutes left to play.
Hofstra answered shortly after with a goal of its own in the first half, and then adding two more in the second.
Hofstra took the win, 3-1.
Quinnipiac goalie Jenna Lawless made five saves for the Bobcats.
In volleyball action, the Bobcats defeated Central Connecticut State University with a 3-0 win with scores of 30-28, 30-28, 32-30, at the Crusader Classic Tournament.
Seniors Heather Grutta and Heather Wollyung led the way with 26 kills total and nine total blocks.
The Quinnipiac men’s cross country team took second place and the women’s team finished third at the Seawolves Invitational, held at State University of New York, Stony Brook.
Freshman Michael Charron finished seventh overall for the men, while fellow freshman Kate Gwyther took fourth place for the women.
The runners competed against athletes from Monmouth, Marist, Hofstra, St. Josephs, Iona and host Stony Brook.