HMA trains health management majors

The Health Management Association seeks to bring “real world” experience to all health management majors in the School of Business.
    According to HMA faculty advisor, Ramon Castellblanch the organization helps students find scholarships and jobs in the health care industry.
    They sponsor community outreach events at local health care centers and invite health management professionals and alumni to come and speak on campus.
    Recently, HMA members visited local nursing homes and assisted staff in conducting activities with residents. These have included visits to Laurel Gardens, and a pumpkin-carving party at Arden Courts.
    On Apr. 4, they will be hosting their annual Alumni Reception.
    Donna McCarty, a health management major who graduated in 1990, and who is now the president of Connecticut Women in Healthcare is scheduled to speak.
    Also speaking is Joe Pajor, a Quinnipiac faculty adjunct, and an administrator at Stamford Hospital.
    Other health management alumni will be present to help students with their resumes and give tips on getting jobs in health care.
    The reception will be held in the Mancheski Executive Seminar Room from 5 to 7 p.m.
    Trixy Palencia, one of the four executives on the board of the HMA, said she became a health management major because she wanted to make a difference, but she was not satisfied with her Pre-Med experience. She chose her major because she still wanted hands-on experience in dealing with people but she did not like the narrow choices that are often offered to a doctor. Palencia wanted more chances to make decisions that could help people.
    Health management trains students in administrative skills in the healthcare industry.
    They learn about issues such as how to run a hospital, dealing with insurance companies and working in HMOs.
    There are only about 40 health management majors on campus. All of them are automatically members of the HMA.
    There will be a general meeting of the HMA on Mar. 20, in SB 110 at 4:15 p.m. Anyone interested is invited to attend.
    The HMA also has information about other upcoming and events and scholarships on their bulletin board next to the Mancheski Executive Seminar room in the School of Business.

For more information contact the HMA at 582-8343, or Ramon Castellblanch at x 5276.