One final plead: a rage against apathy

I began this semester by preaching to the value of philosophical expression and intellectual debate, and I will end it in the same fashion.
    Our generation did not become aware of or take special interest in politics this year, politics were rudely and violently thrust upon our unwanting and unready shoulders.
    We can no longer afford to be oblivious to the world around us. The omnipresence of terror has been tragically proven. Global instability can brutally affect our own communities, and alter the cause of our lives. Our future and our prosperity are not guaranteed to us.
    We must take an active role in public policy. An active role need not be confined to running for office or joining the military, all we must do is be knowledgeable and concerned.
    The citizenry is sovereign in America; informed opinion is not only a right, but also a duty of each individual. If we turn a blind eye to the actions of our government we create a de facto dictatorship.
    There is no check on unruly or corrupt officials when people don’t vote. Society cannot be enhanced when people do not rise to reject self-serving policy or to support enlightened policy.
    We are completely beholden to frivolity, but there can be no frivolity without peace, justice, and security. Our very happiness has been tempered since Sept.11- tempered by remembrance of a tragedy that still resonates and a sense of fear that is growing, not receding. We must clean house before we go out and play.
    The carefree aspect of our happiness has been stolen from us, and we must vigorously fight to regain it. America is the greatest nation in the history of civilization, but only when the people exercise the opportunity that has been endowed to them. We will recapture our frivolity, but we must covet our joy with desperation to insure its endurance.
    I am proud of the effort and content of this page. I would thank Michael Minetto, Daniel Bernard, and Mathew Pentz for their contributions to it.
    I am temporarily stepping away from the editorial position, to return in fall 2002, and I must thank my fellow editors for their considerable computer assistance and free exchange of philosophy.
    I would be remiss if I do not urge the entire staff to take a greater pride in writing.
    The Chronicle is the regular publication on this campus, and it should attract the best people and strive for excellence. We must grasp and hold on to with dear life our opportunity to improve our surroundings.