Fairchild named softball coach

Germaine Fairchild was recently named head coach of the women’s softball team, after the resignation of former head coach, Maribeth Clifford.
Fairchild was an assistant under the two-year head coach, Clifford. While an assistant coach for the team, Fairchild brought a new level to the game.
“As an assistant coach, I brought a new level of intensity to the games and practices,” said Fairchild, “I feel I made the girls aware of what it will take to be the top team in the conference.”
A player herself, Fairchild still is currently active with the Connecticut based women’s softball team, the Stratford Brakettes. The Brakettes is the top
major team in the country, fielding such past players as Lisa Fernandez and Dot Richardson. Before reaching the Brakettes, she played with the Virginia Roadsters, Durham Dragons, and the Georgia Pride.
Fairchild played collegiate softball at Oregon State University, and then finished her college eligibility at the University of Tulsa.
Now that Fairchild is at the helm, she looks to push the team along in the years to come. “Within four years, I want to win the NEC conference,” said Fairchild, with confidence.
The new coach first looks to improve on last years 17-26 record. “I look for us to win 50% more games than last year,” said Fairchild, “we are spending every minute allowed by the NCAA to make ourselves better.”
The team will have some big shoes to fill. Four seniors were lost to graduation, and only one new freshman recruit was added, Sarah Collins. “Collins will bring a high level of athleticism to the team,” said Fairchild. Three other walk-ons will help to fill the roster positions.
The Braves will face a tough schedule this season. The team will travel to Florida to take on solid programs that include Temple, St. Peters, and Bethune
Cookman. The Braves will also face a tough NEC schedule. “LIU is very good, and Robert Morris is a good team as well,” said Fairchild. The Braves will open the season on March 3, at Yale.
The Braves new coach looks forward to the new season at hand. “The level of enthusiasm is high,” concluded Fairchild.