Quinnipiac moves to top of NEC standings

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball team downed St. Francis (N.Y.) 64-41 in a Northeast Conference matchup on Monday.

With the win, Quinnipiac has tied Sacred Heart atop the conference at 13-3 with two games remaining in the regular season.

The Bobcats will face Robert Morris on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at the TD Bank Sports Center, before finishing their season against St. Francis (Pa.) on Monday.

Quinnipiac (21-6, 13-3 NEC) posted three players in double-figures. Jasmine Martin had a game-high 16 points, Kari Goodchild chipped in 14, and Felicia Barron had 12.

“We were able to turn our defense, our rebounds, (and) turn them over into easy buckets to stretch out our lead into halftime,” head coach Tricia Fabbri said. “What I was even more impressed with was out of the locker room; we just weren’t satisfied.”

Coming out of the second half with a 20 point lead, the Bobcats began the second half with a 16-10 run.

Goodchild and Camryn Warner sparked the offense to begin the first half by combining to score eight of the team’s first 10 points.

Warner scored all eight of her points in the first half.

“Kari Goodchild set the tone, defense into offense and making shots that we were able to extend,” Fabbri said.

Goodchild scored 11 of her 14 points after halftime.

“Intensity on defense carries over into our offense,” Goodchild said. “When you’re shooting the ball well (it) makes a difference, but also getting in passing lanes, getting steals, ball handling kind of gets our offense going.”

The Bobcat defense shut down the Terriers offense, forcing them to shoot just 28.3 percent from the field.

The only St. Francis (N.Y.) (3-24, 2-14 NEC) double-figure scorer was Sara Benedetti who posted 10 points.

The Bobcats, Brittany McQuain contributed on the defensive end by pulling down all nine of her rebounds on defense and had a career-high six blocks.