It’s time to grow up

Coming into college, I expected it to be a lot different than high school. I thought, “This is college. We’re grownups now. We’re all mature and responsible.” There will be none of that immature obnoxiousness that was overly prevalent in high school.”

Obviously I was wrong.

Almost every night, regardless whether it’s a weekend or not, I can hear people directly outside my dorm windows in Commons yelling obscenities at the top of their lungs for what seems like no reason whatsoever. It’s plain rude, obnoxious, and unnecessary. Do people really have to scream out the lyrics to “Strawberry Wine” at 11 p.m. on a Tuesday, or yell out strings of every curse word imaginable? There have been several times that my roommates and I have been peacefully studying only to be startled by the shrieking outside. We honestly thought someone was getting murdered – it was that bad. The culprits of this rowdy behavior seem to mostly consist of boys, but girls can be just as loud and annoying.

Of course I didn’t expect everyone on campus to have suddenly matured over the summer, but I definitely wasn’t expecting the mass amount of raucous crowds that can be seen (and most importantly heard) around campus.

This obnoxious behavior isn’t just limited to outside of the dorms. One Saturday night I was in the hallway at 2 a.m. talking on the phone. Before I could see the six guys down the hallway, I heard them. They came running down the hallway, rudely screaming at the top of their lungs, completely disregarding the fact that it was late at night, I was on the phone, and people were trying to sleep.

After a few minutes, one girl came out of her dorm room and politely asked the guys to be quiet because her roommates were sleeping, and they responded by yelling even louder. “It’s Saturday night!” the one guy called out while another guy joked, “Obviously it’s that time of month!” They blew off her dirty glares and continued their way down the hallway, wreaking havoc as they went.

The moral of the story is this: just because you’re out partying on a Saturday night doesn’t mean everyone else is. This applies to any night, especially during the week. Some people may be sleeping, trying to study for a test, talking on the phone, or engaged in other activities that are greatly disrupted by such rude behavior. When you have a chemistry lab at 8 a.m. the next morning and you’re trying to sleep at one in the morning, it’s really frustrating when you’re kept awake because people are screaming bloody murder outside your dorm window.

All I’m asking is for people to be a little more respectful of the others around us. We’re not in high school anymore. We are adults. As adults we should realize that the world does not revolve around us. I understand wanting to have fun and how crazy it can get when you’re with a group of friends; believe me, I’m guilty of participating in this type of behavior myself. But we’re in college now. We should be ashamed of ourselves. Is that how adults act?

Now that we’re 18 and in college, we expect other people to treat us as adults, but maybe we should start acting like them first. Wanting to enjoy yourself and live it up on the weekends is all fine and dandy, but there are other ways to have fun without being overly obnoxious. Living on campus means that we are part of a community, there are tons of other people that live on campus to consider. If you had a huge test the next morning that your grade depended on, would you appreciate people partying? Some people may argue that that is what the library and quiet lounges are for, but at this point, even those areas aren’t safe havens from the overly rampant rowdiness.

Next time, before you are about to belt your heart out to your favorite song or see which one of your buddies can scream a curse word the loudest, take one second and stop thinking about yourself. Consider all the other people on campus and how your actions might be affecting them; for once, choose to act like the adult you claim to be.

Is that really so much to ask?