Winless week for volleyball

It has been a rough season thus far for the Quinnipiac volleyball team, and last week didn’t help matters.

The Bobcats were unable to add to their win total, dropping all three of their matches to Northeast Conference opponents.

Quinnipiac got the week underway by visiting the Blackbirds of Long Island last Thursday. Alyssa Naylor led the way with nine kills and 20 total attacks, but it wasn’t enough as the Bobcats fell in straight sets, 16-25, 15-25, 20-25.

Long Island cruised in the first two sets, but the third came down to the wire as the two teams stayed neck-and-neck.

It was all tied up at 17 before the Blackbirds broke the set open with a 4-0 run and didn’t look back from there.

After a day off, the volleyball team headed to Robert Morris, where they suffered another three-set loss, 15-25, 14-25, 23-25. Kelby Carey and Chelsey Pachoud combined for 17 kills and 57 total attacks for Quinnipiac.

Quinnipiac finished up their week on Sunday with a loss at St. Francis (Pa.). After a strong win in the first set, the match looked promising for a chance at a second win for the Bobcats this season. Unfortunately, that promise faded quickly, as the Bobcats dropped the next three sets, losing 25-18, 17-25, 23-25, 18-25. Carey put together another solid game, compiling 13 kills and 43 total attacks.

Quinnipiac fell to 1-17 overall and 1-5 in the NEC this season.

The three losses knocked the Bobcats down to the sixth spot in the NEC standings. The volleyball team will take the court again Friday, in Brooklyn, N.Y., when they take on the St. Francis (N.Y.) Terriers.

Quinnipiac’s only victory this year came against the Terriers earlier in the season.