Letter from the editor:

As we wrap up our final issue of this school year and look toward the future, we want to look back and recognize the work our graduating seniors – Editor-in-Chief Stacey Kinnier, Publisher and General Manager Griffin McGrath, and Design and Layout Editor Chris Lupfer – have done to make the 78th volume of The Chronicle a successful one.

Despite the issues this paper faced at the beginning of the year, we were able to overcome them and eventually win the Outstanding Student Organization Award for 2008-2009. This couldn’t have been accomplished without strong leadership from the upperclassmen on this staff.

As editor-in-chief next year, with the help of a strong and capable editorial board, it is my goal to continue to produce a quality product every Wednesday throughout the academic year beginning on Sept. 16.

There is still a place for good journalism in the world and on this campus. Just this past week, we learned that if students speak up in an organized manner, the school will listen. The University sensed unhappiness from students regarding proposed commencement changes and acted accordingly. Students created Facebook groups and the Junior Class Cabinet made its concerns known. It is important to realize just how powerful your voice is.

It seems as if recently some students have indeed realized this. Last year, Quinnipiac was ranked the second highest politically apathetic campus by The Princeton Review. While we are still considered apathetic – we are now No. 5 according to its latest edition – the number has obviously dropped. When it comes to national politics, students are seeming to become more informed, as well as involved. Alumni Hall was packed during both the coverage of the 2008 Presidential Election and President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

Even more locally, students have been rallying around issues affecting them on campus. The commencement issue is just one example. Other groups, including one dealing with shuttles going to the York Hill campus, have been created as well.

The University has proposed two scenarios for the Class of 2012’s commencement ceremony. If you don’t like these ideas, there is something that can be done. Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell said that the University will welcome student input in the decision-making process. Hopefully the Class of 2012 will take advantage of this unique opportunity.

The paper is only one outlet to make your voice heard. We’d love to hear from the students first and foremost, either by actually joining the staff or by interacting with us on our Web site.

To those who are graduating in a few short weeks, I’d like to wish the best of luck in all of your future endeavors. For those who are still hanging on to the college life a little longer, enjoy it and we’ll see you next year!

And to everyone: have a relaxing, enjoyable and safe summer.