Men’s hoops on the prowl in NEC

Despite the Quinnipiac men’s basketball team dropping five straight games over winter break, they remain in a tie for third place in the Northeast Conference thanks to wins over conference foes St. Francis (N.Y.), St. Francis (Pa.) and Wagner.

Leading scorer James Feldeine had a less than spectacular game shooting in the loss to Monmouth Hawks 74-63, on Jan. 17. Feldeine shot 5-17 from the field and was just 1-4 from beyond the arc. Louis Brookins led the Bobcats with 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds.

The Bobcats led the Hawks 41-33 with just 13:30 left in the second half. After Monmouth’s James Hett was ejected, the Bobcats soon committed eight fouls over a 2:37 span, leaving the door open for the Hawks to come through.

The Hawks continued their comeback with a 17-5 run over 5:20. The Bobcats came back and tied the game up at 50, but the Hawks quickly put together another run on a three-pointer and a fast-break layup. They did not look back after that, surging to an 11-point victory, improving to 3-3 in the NEC.
Feldeine earned his first two Choice Hotels/Northeast Conference Player of the Week honors for his performances against Wagner, Dartmouth and Vermont in December. He averaged 24.7 points-per-game and 8.7 rebounds-per-game. He was also honored by college basketball website Midmajority.com, which named him its “Baller of the Week.” The Bobcats went 2-1 over that stretch.
The Bobcats split their six conference games over break, putting them at 4-3 in the conference and 8-9 overall. They are now tied with Mount St. Mary’s and Central Connecticut St., and trail Long Island by a half-game and trail NEC leader Robert Morris by 2