Diabetes Walk on the NH Campus

Every 30 seconds, a new case of diabetes is diagnosed in the United States. Over 18 million Americans are currently living with diabetes, and about three million have type I diabetes.
    The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) is just one of the many organizations trying to battle diabetes. The foundation was founded in 1970 by parents of children who had juvenile diabetes.
    One of the big fundraisers for the JDRF are the paper sneakers one can find one the walls at Stop and Shop or other businesses. Last year, JDRF raised more than five million dollars with those sneakers alone.
    This year, however, Quinnipiac students can use their own sneakers to combat diabetes.
    The North Haven campus of Quinnipiac University (formerly Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield) will host JDRF’s annual Walk to Cure Diabetes. The walk will be held on Sunday, Sept. 28.
    The Greater New Haven chapter of JDRF expects over 3,500 walkers to participate. Nationally, 500,000 people participated in 2007. JDRF of Greater New Haven’s goal is to raise one million dollars to give to research to find a cure. As a whole, JDRF raised over $94 million nationally last year.
    On-site registration beings at 8:30 a.m. and the event begins at 9:00 a.m. Food, games and music will also be included in the morning.
    Companies like Stop & Shop, Pfizer, and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield will be sponsors on hand, both walking and helping out, in Sunday’s event.
    Junior public relations major Stephanie Neto is a volunteer for the Greater New Haven chapter of JDRF.
    “JDRF is a great foundation who has helped a great deal in working to find a cure for type I diabetes,” Neto said. “The Walk to Cure Diabetes is a great chance for people to come out and help raise money for JDRF’s cause. Volunteering for a foundation that is doing so much to fund diabetes research is awesome.”
    Other Connecticut events to support the walk included a Concert for the Cure in Meriden last May and a Children’s Fair in Madison last June. Another Walk to Cure Diabetes will take place on Sunday, October 5 in Niantic.
    Since its launch, JDRF has been able to give more than $900 million towards diabetes research.
    For more information or to create a walk team, students are advised to check out http://walk.jdrf.org.