T.R.E.E. encourages campus-wide recycling

“Wow, what a gorgeous campus,” “Everything is so well maintained!”
    These are a few of the comments that are constantly being said about Quinnipiac University.
    Although the campus does have a pleasing appearance, there are internal issues that need to be resolved, so that the environment remains beautiful, breathtaking, and clean. One such issue is recycling.
    Recycling is an act that is becoming almost essential in every day living.
    Both money and Mother Earth are being saved with every reutilization of a paper or plastic products.
    While many students on campus do participate in recycling, there are still a majority who become too bogged down with busy schedules, social lives, and academics.
    The members of T.R.E.E, (Teaching, Reaching, Environmental Education) the environmental organization on campus, have become very concerned with students awareness of recycling.
    Shannon Savage, president of T.R.E.E., said, “I would love to believe that everyone wants to recycle, but it’s hard to believe that when you walk into a classroom and see someone throw a recyclable product into the non-recyclable garbage can.”
    As a means of heightening awareness and practice of recycling, T.R.E.E. plans to achieve many goals in the future.
    For example, the organization would like to obtain recycling bins for places on campus, like the Hill, where no receptacles exist.
    Also, T.R.E.E. is trying to use their funds to buy prizes for the students that recycle regularly.
    By rewarding those individuals that make a conscious effort to recycle, it is hoped that others will be encouraged to do the same.
    Furthermore, T.R.E.E. is working to get the library and the bookstore to utilize and sell more brands of recyclable paper.
    In addition to using more recyclable paper, less paper has to be wasted in junkmail. When students check their mailboxes they are bound to receive flyers that do not interest them.
    As a result, they quickly find the first garbage pail to dispose of those papers in and in essence, reusable paper is destroyed for good.
    Aside from the members of T.R.E.E., other students are concerned about the future cleanliness and well being of the campus.
    Michele Sartori, a sophomore, said, “I can’t believe the students don’t make more of an effort to recycle. The school has provided recycling bins, all we have to do is throw our cans and bottles in them.”
    “Once you start recycling, it becomes as routine as brushing your teeth,” said Savage. “Recycling is a sign of self-respect; as well as, mutual respect.”